Growth Mindset

 I actually had never heard of Carol Dweck or her research on growth mindset before she was introduced in this module, I have found it really interesting. Throughout my school life I think I've been on the border of growth and fixed mindsets, I plan to implement some of her work into my day to day life in hope to bring myself fully into a growth mindset. 


According to Carol a growth mindset is attributed by things like a hunger to learn, embracing challenges as well as persistence in setbacks. People with a growth mindset believe in improvement and see hard work as the key to success and intelligence, they engage in their problems and see their failures as opportunities to learn and improve. On the other hand, there is a fixed mindset in which people seem to think you are either good at something or you are not and there's no way of changing that. People with this mindset seem to shy away from challenges out of fear of failure or humiliation as well as ignoring or taking offence to useful feedback. 
It's interesting how Carol says these mindsets are developed by a number of things at a young age, mainly the form of praise given to a child. If a child gets a question right and your response is to praise their intelligence and tell them how smart they are, this will make the child think the only reason they got the right answer because of their natural intelligence and then they could carry on in life thinking they don't need to work hard to succeed. Alternatively, if you praise their hard work and effort in getting the question right then they will recognize that you can succeed by working for it and this will help develop a growth mindset. 

I want to implement a growth mindset into my life, I think this would be really beneficial especially throughout the remainder of college. I want to learn more about the growth mindset, I'm excited about this semester and I think it could help me really improve in all aspects as a student. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Prototype

Game Vision Statement