Game Vision Statement

The genre of this game is a 3D platformer, I'm making a game in this genre because a lot of games I played growing up were in this style and I have very good memories of these, I took inspiration from games like Temple Run and Subway Surfers.
The game will be based in college and the aim is to make it to the end of the level while avoiding enemies and dodging obstacles. You have a HP bar that slowly decreases as you run through the level, however you can gain some HP back by picking up collectables such as coffee cups and energy drinks along the way. The HP bar can also be decreased by enemies you meet, these can be lecturers, students or the cafeteria staff chasing you down for your covid cert. 
The level design will be based in a typical college consisting of corridors, courtyards and cafeteria areas. The camera angle will follow the player from behind as you navigate the world, you cannot stop the character from moving once the game starts but you can hop from side to side as well as jumping and sliding to avoid obstacles and enemies. There wont be combat in the game but if you are caught by any of these enemies your HP will take a big hit and once it runs out you must start again. You'll be able to turn corners and navigate through the corridors of the college as well as going up and down levels through the staircases. If you collect enough coffee's or energy drinks you'll be able to unlock a quick speed boost to help you finish the level quicker. The game will end when you reach the bus stop and hop on the bus home. So the key features of this game are the collectable items, the character movement as well as enemies and obstacles. This game would be playable on mobile and PC but I think this genre is most suited to mobile.


Subway Surfer Gameplay



https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3384/the_anatomy_of_a_design_document_.php?print=1

Comments

  1. I think a platformer game is the best kind of gameplay as I personally enjoy them the most therefore this is already a great start. I grew up with Temple Run I can't wait for updates on your game and I would like to play it when it is finished. This might be a complex game but good luck!!1 This was an awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mark,

    This made me laugh hehe. i love the aesthetic idea for this game. Very relatable! i love that you have to run for the bus. An idea that popped into my head when reading this was that if you don't collect enough energy drinks to speed you up, you miss the bus and you loose the game. This might also make people want to play again if they loose. Also have you considered putting music/audio in the background? i really like this game idea. It will be really funny i cant wait to see it and play it

    Philippa :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mark!
    I love a good platformer game, they were always my favourite growing up so I can't wait to see how your game comes together.
    I also love that your game is sort of humorous and I love the element of having to run for the bus but having obstacles along the way you have to avoid, it sounds so realistic!
    I think that there could possibly be different levels of difficulty so its not the same each time you play, for easy, you add more of the coffee and energy drinks, medium you add less of the drinks and more obstacles, and then for hard you can make the drinks very rare and add a lot more obstacles.
    Love the idea and can't wait to be able to play it!
    Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mark! I quite like this idea! I am making a game quite similar to this but with a different theme around it. I have also taken inspiration from games such as Subway Surfers and Temple Run I have played these games a lot when I was younger during school and I'd play these games when I was bored and at one point I got addicted to these games! I think this is a good idea, I hope the design and first playable is going well and I wish you the best of luck with the design!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Mark,

    Love the game idea. Very clever making the scene something we all know and I really like the collecting coffee cups part of it. It's an interesting take on the platforming game. How are you going to get your assets for the game? Have you found any good free asset websites that have a college theme to them? I know unity do some free assets so you could have a look there. I hope all goes well with the game and the coding.

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Prototype